Notifications
Clear all

sets and reps...??

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fitchickpa)
Topic starter  

I have seemed to hit a huge plateau in my training...I am unsure of what to do next...
I started out years ago, lifting the light weights and seeing okay results. Through the years, my strength has increased and so naturally, Ive increased my weight to challenge myself. Well, my muscles have gotten reasonably large, especially in my legs. I do not want to go back to light weights, because I would have to perform countless reps to feel a good pump, and isn't is purposeless--it's like lifting a pencil a hundred times...you're not really doing anything...??
Any suggestions....????? Help!

(@vikingpwer)

I can help but i need to know what your goals are. in other words are you planning on competing in something be it bodybuilding,powerlifting,ect.

ReplyQuote
(@fitchickpa)
Topic starter  

Hey Viking...mostly bodybuilding. Right now, I just want to be pretty ripped and cut. There are no future shows..I just had a competition in April and am thinking of maybe again in the fall...but Im unsure. I would LOVE to increase my strength...just for the sake of seeing improvement and getting stronger, but my muscles have a tendency to get pretty large. And my strength is WAY down from the malnourishment I put my body through. I would love to trim my arms and my legs down...without compromising my lean muscle.....but if I continue to train with heavy weights....my BF will stay the same and my muscles will most likely get larger. I know they say physiologically, women cannot get large muscles...but I think that's bullshit. Genetics. Granted, we arent going to grow like Arnold..but I would like to at least have jeans fit over my thighs! Right now, Ive increased my cardio and cleaned up my diet to try to get more cut. I would still like to make considerable gains in strength.......it's like a Catch-22, huh?

ReplyQuote
(@vikingpwer)

hahahaha

Ok if your looking for strenght gains keep your "core" excerises in 60-80% of your 1 rep max. keep your reps low 3-5 reps and your sets at around 5 for a 60% day and 3 at an 80% day. Your rest periods on your 60% day shouldn't be more than 15-30 seconds. On your 80% day keep them at about 45-90 seconds. Switch it up your %'s from week to week.

week 1
5x5 with 60%
week 2
3x5 with 70%
week 3
5x5 with 60%
week 4
3x3 with 80%

catch what i am saying. after about 6-8 weeks max out and see how your gains went.

your core lifts are bench, deadlift, and squat. all other movement are considered auxillary movements. ex: bi's, tris, shoulders, calves, ect. your rep skeem should be 4 sets of 8-12 reps.
------------------------------------------------------------
Now for more of a cut look you need to stick to no more than 75% of your max and completely and totally focus on your form. Slow reps squeezing at the top of each movement. your reps should range from 8-12 reps.

your diet depending on your weight should be at least 150-200g of protien and 30-50g of carbs. And try to keep your fat to 30-60g.

ReplyQuote
Cutieface
(@cutieface)
Eminent Member

VP you trying to take over my job *wink*

Bumpin VP's advise.....

sometimes I like to switch things around and do reverse pyramid sets.....

PMS

"I love the way you look at me, I love the way you smack my ass, I love the dirty things you do when I take control of you"

ReplyQuote
(@fitchickpa)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice! For the most part, I do something different each workout. I get soooo bored when I have to follow a "set" program. Actually, Ive been following one for the past 3 weeks...just trying to gain some strength back. It involves Sundays off and Mon/Wed/Fri...chest/back/isolation legs (curls, extensions, maybe lunges if I feel like it) and Tues/Thurs/Sat...shoulders/bis/tris/squats/abs. I got REALLY bored with it..too many bodyparts at once....and would end up doing just my old split routine. Like just back on Wed. or just chest on Monday. In my opinion, you cant really superset if you want to gain strength...you know? Esp with back.

And PMS...do you mean drop sets?

One more stupid question....okay, I've always worked with dumbbells, as far as bench goes. When you say 60% of your max...does that mean 60% of the amount of weight you can do for one rep? Ive actually never tried to hit a maximum weight before....I would always just gradually up my weight over time...looks like I'll have to do some adjustments at the gym today!!
and, yeah..my diet is actually really good...but I allow myself a little more carbs...at least 20 per meal....you say per day. I think I would go out of my mind if I were to limit them down to 20 a day! I literally get like a walking zombie!
thanks again for the advice..I'll keep you posted on if I advance at all...!

ReplyQuote
Share: