Notifications
Clear all

GLYCOGEN? post workout shake!!

39 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
cannibal007
(@cannibal007)

I just have some Tang, about 75g, with 10g creatine. And have 60g protein in water seperatly.

ReplyQuote
(@kindasmall)

Posted by: Durabolin
adam fruit juice is not a good choice,fructose is quite low on the GI scale - even cranberry is inferior to maltodextrin or glucose,plus fructose preferentially goes to the liver glycogen stores

To elaborate further:

Fructose will not replenish muscle glycogen stores, but once the liver is replenished it will turn to fat.

Common sugar is not a good idea either, as it is composed of one fructose molecule and one dextrose molecule. This means your are getting 50% fructose, refer to above.

Maltodextrin has been shown to break down in to glucose via a pathway that emits the least free radicals, compared to dextrose. The difference is not huge, and may or may not be noteworthy.

And BTW: glucose powder is dextrose and can be purchased from homebrew shops.

ReplyQuote
(@jerrythejuicer)

Originally posted by KindaSmall
[B]To elaborate further:

Fructose will not replenish muscle glycogen stores, but once the liver is replenished it will turn to fat.

I must clearly state here that I don't agree with this full stop!! I don't believe excess carbs turn to fat and the latest studies have shown this.
I have a very high carb diet and I'm very lean. (sometimes last thing at night I'll eat a massive carb meal i.e. 1kg sweet pot and pot just before going to bed). And from my experience it just makes my muscles full. All of my clients are very much the same. From experience the above mentioned theory is old school and THERE IS A BETTER WAY!! The low carb thing is 1. not sustainable 2. perforcemance reducing 3. not good for the brain (try concentrating on low carbs)
Your muscles need carbohydrate to speed recovery (that's what we want isn't it??, if you doin't recover fully or quickly enough progress will be slowed considerably.

ReplyQuote
(@jerrythejuicer)

Posted by: adam ryan
good idea.
do you use white sugar or brown?
and any fruit juice (100% or those re constituted ones?)
cheers

I just use white sugar and normal berri juice (grape of app/black). I don't stress when it comes to diet cause I eat 100% clean all the time (no effort). Since I've been doing the juice sugar thing I'm very happy with the reults (muscles always very full!!)
When I was using creatine I would also add that to the drink, but now I'm using the liquid serum creatine instead (because of the creatinine build up in the liver and kidneys EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF THIS AS WELL!!, it's just the juice and sugar.

ReplyQuote
 Luto
(@luto)

I must clearly state here that I don't agree with this full stop!! I don't believe excess carbs turn to fat and the latest studies have shown this.
I have a very high carb diet and I'm very lean. (sometimes last thing at night I'll eat a massive carb meal i.e. 1kg sweet pot and pot just before going to bed). And from my experience it just makes my muscles full. All of my clients are very much the same. From experience the above mentioned theory is old school and THERE IS A BETTER WAY!! The low carb thing is 1. not sustainable 2. perforcemance reducing 3. not good for the brain (try concentrating on low carbs)
Your muscles need carbohydrate to speed recovery (that's what we want isn't it??, if you doin't recover fully or quickly enough progress will be slowed considerably. [/B]

Excess energy not utilized by the body for maintainence, growth and repair will end up being stored as fat for reserve energy. This is not old or new school theory, its scientific fact. Apology if i misunderstood what u meant

cheers.

ReplyQuote
(@jerrythejuicer)

Posted by: Luto
Excess energy not utilized by the body for maintainence, growth and repair will end up being stored as fat for reserve energy. This is not old or new school theory, its scientific fact. Apology if i misunderstood what u meant

cheers.

I must AGREE with you to DISAGREE then, I've seen the studies, done it myself and seen many others do the same and none of us got fat. Consuming Fat makes you FAT. Although the studies did show that in a small number of cases in morbidly obese people the constant excess consumption of carbohydrate some MAY be converted into fat. This certainly doesn't apply to normal people especially athletes.

Opinions vary though I suppose!

ReplyQuote
 Luto
(@luto)

Posted by: JerryTheJuicer
I must AGREE with you to DISAGREE then, I've seen the studies, done it myself and seen many others do the same and none of us got fat. Consuming Fat makes you FAT. Although the studies did show that in a small number of cases in morbidly obese people the constant excess consumption of carbohydrate some MAY be converted into fat. This certainly doesn't apply to normal people especially athletes.

Opinions vary though I suppose!

I agree that dietary fat converts into body fat more efficiently than carbs, but the average diet contains more carbs then fats. If u are refering to athletes with extreme activities, of coz they will be lean no matter what they eat if they do not have excess energy intake to be stored as fats!
What about the ever changing dietary guidelines from cut out all fats to the current limit your carbs? Because people were becoming more obese than ever due to the incorrect info they were fed: if they took less fats, than no matter how much carbs they took they would not get fat!

Well maybe they were wrong again

JMO
cheers

ReplyQuote
(@jerrythejuicer)

I believe the general public are becoming more and more obese because they are consuming large meals with both carbohydrate and fat together. The body prefers to use carbs as an energy source and therefore does that, (what happens to the fat???The body stores it for later when the preferred source ie. carbohyrdate, is not present. What happens if the person keeps eating high carbs and medium protein meals all the time???? Answer - the fat gets burned very slowly if at all. and the person puts on bodyfat onto of bodyfat until the are obese.
When I first studied this nearly 5 years ago it also went against my conventional thinking regarding traditional nutrition but since it made complete sense the more I got into it I tried it, and liked what I found. Granted I have a tiny amount of fat in my diet, I am extrememly active and train very hard when I do, my body loved the change and if I ever need to get stupidly lean I can do so very quickly with losing much muscle if any!!
And the best part is I never have cravings and my stays the same all the time (NEVER HUNGRY)

Don't be scare to look outside the circle!!!

ReplyQuote
(@beefcake)

Well high carbs make me feel like shit. I feel better and more energetic on low carbs. After a meal of a decent amount of carbs i feel like going to sleep because of the insulin rise. From speaking to other people it seems it's 50/50 for people that like high or low carbs. I was eating high carbs when i was doing a lot of cycling training and i was having problems dropping below the 12% BF range because the carbs were there. The second i dropped carbs and at more protein and fat the scales started going down. Just my personal experience that i thought i'd chuck in.

ReplyQuote
adam ryan
(@adam-ryan)
Eminent Member

this is good info dudes
and go jerry, very interesting argument!

ReplyQuote
Deziner
(@deziner)

Go by a kilo bag of Glucose from Pet Barn for $15, thats what I do.

I use 3 heaped tablespoons in my post workout shake.

ReplyQuote
Mikeus
(@mikeus)

BEEFCAKE, Ive had that same feeling of sleep after a high carbs meal aswell, high GI carbs may cause this, but it only happend when I was having aussie bodies strawberry protein shakes!, so my guess is that the product has lots of sugar in it.....funny though, it doesnt say on the label (hmmm???)

JERRY, I eat Protein and Complex carbs with good fats.
is this a bad idea? or am I in a different boat that a non training person?

Mike

ReplyQuote
MonstaDwarf
(@monstadwarf)

seperate the carbs from the fats. eat protien alone, protien & fats, Protien and Low GI load carb, and have high gi load carbs directly affter a workout to prime the body for your protien ingestion.
does anyone have dextrose whilst Training?

ReplyQuote
Deziner
(@deziner)

I tried MD, but sweet tasting drinks make me feel quite sick while training so I gave up on the idea.

ReplyQuote
MonstaDwarf
(@monstadwarf)

ditto

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: